Breast reduction surgery is performed to reduce a woman’s breast size. Why do some women opt to have their breast size reduced when many are actually hoping for larger, fuller breasts? Female breast reduction surgery is often chosen for the following reasons:
- Chronic pain and discomfort in the shoulders, neck, and back due to breast weight
- Shoulder grooving (due to bra straps digging into the shoulders)
- Chafing and skin irritation from tight undergarments
- Difficulty finding well-fitting undergarments, shirts, blouses, etc.
- Tingling or numbness of the hands
- Impaired mobility
- Lack of motivation to exercise or engage in physical activity
- Increased self-consciousness and reduced self-esteem
Choosing Breast Reduction
A personal consultation with a plastic surgeon is your first step in deciding if breast reduction will address your concerns about your overly large breasts. Although a good support bra can help relieve the pain and discomfort of having large breasts, its effects are only temporary.
Weight loss may somewhat help reduce breast size, but in reality, it cannot solve the problem permanently. The discomfort of large breasts has nothing to do with how the skin is stretched due to increased volume but rather with how the breast skin, which isn’t affected by weight loss, has been pulled by gravity. Surgery may be your only option to completely irradiate the issue.
Let us help you plan for your breast reduction! Give us a call to schedule a personal consultation.